The cruise industry is facing a massive shift in how they are allowed to operate: Stringent rules for zero-emissions operations in ports and emission control areas (ECAs), new IMO regulations coming up, in addition to increasing passenger demand for greener cruise experiences.
There is not one solution that meets the challenge. The solution is a combination of several technologies.
Energy Storage is part of all solutions – either alone or in combination with others.
Cruise ships typically use Energy Storage for
- Optimized energy consumption by load levelling
- Maneuvering into port and in shallow waters
- “Fjord” mode
- Zero emissions in port
- Increased safety and reliability – including black-out prevention
- Black start capability
- Running hotel loads in case of dead ship
- Reduced scrubber system size for ECA compliance
- Reduced fuel consumption
- Reduced emissions
- Zero emissions for long periods of time
- Safer operations
- More silent operations when in zero-emissions mode
Corvus Energy Storage systems (ESS) is suitable for both newbuilds and retrofit projects. To learn more about our products, please visit our product pages.
The Corvus Blue Whale ESS is specifically developed for vessels that need high energy and slow charge and discharge rate, such as Cruise, Ro-Pax and Ro-Ro, in order to sail emissions-free for longer periods of time or to stay emissions-free in port. Size is typically from 20 -50 MWh which means that low weight and volume is required.