The Corvus Blue Whale Energy Storage System is a ground-breaking ESS specifically designed to meet the large energy requirements of emission-free operation over longer periods of time.
The Corvus Blue Whale design is a result of the knowledge gained from having the largest global installed base of ESS solutions combined with our industry-leading research and development capabilities.
The Corvus Blue Whale ESS differs from other ESS technologies available in the market in that it is specifically designed for use in vessels like Cruise, Ro-Pax, Ro-Ro, Mega Yachts, etc where the operational profiles cater for slow charge and discharge rates and a product that enables emission-free sailing over longer periods of time and/or emission-free port stays. The system has been developed with larger installations (>10MWh total system energy) in mind. Low weight and low total system volume have been key design criteria, resulting in a world-leading energy density in a battery room with minimal service aisle requirements.
Blue Whale is ideal for applications that are in need of a large amount of energy at a cost effective kWh price. Typical vessel-types are:
- Cruise ships
- Inland Vessels
- Low C-Rate – designed slow charge and discharge
- Industry-leading volumetric and gravimetric room energy density
- Designed for voltages up to 1140 VDC
- Low installation and commissioning time
- Very cost-efficient for large installations
- Enhanced reliability with contained power connections
- Weight and volume reduced ~30% and ~50 % compared to Orca Energy
- Flexible and modularised design
- No service aisles required
- Passive single-cell Thermal Runaway protection
- Scalable capacity and voltage according to vessel requirements
- Industry-proven Battery Management System (BMS)
- Remote monitoring capabilities
- Enhanced EMI immunity design for maritime environments